What is BBH Accommodation?
Affordable Accommodation for Free Independent Travellers
- Independently owned and operated, BBH self-catering budget accommodation can be found almost everywhere you're going to be in NZ.
- BBH accommodation provides for, and welcomes travellers of all nationalities and ages.
- Unlike an hotel, a BBH is a personal experience where you can interact with the owner. The average BBH has just 36 beds, so chances are, the person who owns the hostel will check you in and probably out when you move on. Chances are, you'll be remembered if you return.
- And 160+ BBH's are all different - no "McBackpacker" experience here! Spoiled for choice, you'll KNOW you've dropped out of your comfort zone into something even better!
NOTE: Although YHA NZ website advertises "budget backpacker accommodation for independent travellers", don't be misled. YHA is NOT part of the BBH (Budget Backpacker Hostels) network, and does not share our values. Whatever you measure - budget, value, quantity or quality, BBH is very hard to beat.
one person per room.
two people per room in one double bed. (Room rate applies for one person).
two people per room in separate beds. (Room rate applies for one person).
up to 4 people per room.
more than 4 people per room (often in bunks).
|Ensuite rooms (with private bathroom) are increasingly common.|
- hostels that provide share or dorm rooms for Female guests. When making an online booking, use the ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section which appears under the "Bookings Request Summary" to request this preference.
FEES are really affordable because BBH caters for travellers who are prepared to think and act for themselves. There are no frills like valet parking, or bellhops to carry the Louis Vuitton, but all the facilities that help make a traveller's life easier and even more enjoyable are provided.
PLEASE NOTE: all prices are shown on a "Per Person" basis and in NZ currency..
FACILITIES such as Lounges, Self-catering kitchens, Laundry facilities, BBQs, Internet access, Bag storage and Information boards are all standard.
BEDDING is always available, but your own sleeping bag or sleep sheet can sometimes be used for added economy.
Children under 16 years travelling with a Cardholder will receive the same benefits. Not all establishments are suitable for children - they are identified by this icon
on the listing pages and in our Guidebook under the NOTES field.
GROUPS: Up to six people can book using our online facility. Groups larger than this should contact the hostel direct.
- Take care NOT to be processed as a "Backpackage".
- One of the main benefits of our kind of travel is that it's flexible.
- You can make up your itinerary as you go - picking up recommendations of places you MUST see and those you should really avoid, by talking to other travellers in BBH kitchens & lounges at the end of the day.
- Don't be pursuaded to pre-book hundreds of dollars worth of transport, activities or accommodation before you arrive. Or when you've just flown in. It can be expensive or even impossible to get refunds if you want to change your mind later.
- Most BBH operators can deal with you making decisions the night before or on the day. That way - if weather causes cancellations & you need to move on - or - you simply get a better offer - refunds are easily arranged on the spot.
- Remember - your BBH host is the local expert.
- AND... when you book & pay locally, you know you are assisting a local Kiwi business.